The Tinkertoy Construction Set was created in 1914 by Charles H. Pajeau, who formed the Toy Tinker Company in Evanston, Illinois. He was a stonemason and designed the toy after seeing children play with sticks and empty spools of thread. Pajeu partnered with Robert Pettit and Gordon Tinker to market the toy. The goal was to allow and inspire children to use their imaginations. A colorful “how-to” instruction guide accompanied each set. In the 1950s, color was added and the wooden sticks appeared in red, green, blue, and yellow.
For a generation, Tinkertoy was the "Lego of it's day."