Vintage 1950s cars
The MGA was produced by MG from 1955 to 1962.
The MGA replaced the MG TF 1500 Midget and represented a complete styling break from MG's earlier sports cars. Announced in September 1955 the car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
The MGA design dates back to 1951 when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. After several changes to the chassis, the prototype was built. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, therefore the car did not have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the BMC corporate B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet line. The MGA convertible had no exterior door handles.
The MGA has been raced extensively in the U.S. since its 1955 introduction and with considerable success. In the Sports Car Club of America competition, the MGA has won numerous regional and national championships. It has also been a favorite choice of those competing in vintage racing.
In the United States, the MGA was used in NASCAR from 1960–63 in the Grand National Series, but failed to win a single race. After production ended of the MGA, MG (which at that point was the last foreign automaker in NASCAR) decided not to field another entry in the circuit.
A total of 101,081 units were sold through the end of production in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported. Only 5869 cars were sold on the home market, the lowest percentage of any British car. It was replaced by the MGB.