Friday, November 23, 2018

Vintage 1950s Scalloped Potatoes


1950s Holiday Recipes

Scalloped Potatoes
         
Scalloped Potatoes was a staple dish every winter holiday meal, and pot-lucks our family attended in the 1950s. And being the oldest, it was my job to peel and remove dark eyes from these fresh potatoes. It took hours for me, with a hand-held peeler, and took away the joys of the winter holidays. Pri

When I left home. I swore I would never, never make Scalloped Potatoes again. Well, I missed the dish and contemplated quite often making the dish, until I looked at my hand-held peeler, and dropped it back in the drawer.

However, as the years slipped by I attended potluck dinners.  I always filled my plate with Scalloped Potatoes enjoying the wonderful taste of the dish. Then one day, my neighbor had an open house and served the most wonderful "Scalloped Potatoes" for 25 people! I marveled at her stamina in peeling and "de-eyeing" all the fresh potatoes.

"Heavens no", she said. "I used frozen Has Browns. No way would I peel all those potatoes."


Well, she gave me her recipe and here it is, peel-less, de-eyeing-less Scalloped Potatoes without the fresh potatoes and blisters.


Quick and Easy Hash Brown Casserole

Servings: 8

Ingredients
4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
1- 3/4 cups heavy cream (I like 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 sour cream)
2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
1/4 cup chopped green onions (opt)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x12 inch or 6 cups casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour half of the frozen hash browns into a dish. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and half of the cheese over potatoes. Spread remaining hash brown potatoes in dish. Top with remaining salt, pepper, and cheese. Pour heavy cream over potatoes. Bake 45 minutes covered. Take the lid off and bake another 15 minutes until potatoes are soft and cheese is melted and browned. Serve hot

Remember... no peeling or de-eyeing fresh potatoes!



No comments:

Post a Comment